Vermont trial lawyer John Maley is a native of Burlington, Vermont, and has been in private practice since 1968 representing individuals and families of those injured or killed as a result of medical malpractice, defective products, car and truck accidents and recreational accidents.
John has been selected annually by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® since 1995 in the areas of Personal Injury Litigation (plaintiffs) and Medical Malpractice Law (plaintiffs). He has the additional distinction of being named Burlington Vermont’s:
John has resolved many substantial personal injury cases, including:
- $2,925,000 settlement during trial – motor vehicle accident claim.
- $1,800,000 settlement – wrongful death motor vehicle accident claim.
- $800,000 jury verdict – wrongful death medical malpractice case involving the failure to monitor a patient on Coumadin. The patient had a very short life expectancy and losses were solely for loss of love and companionship of the family.
- Resolved a playground accident injury claim on behalf of a nine year old girl against a municipality for $800,000.
John has extensive experience in the evaluation, preparation and resolution of medical malpractice claims against health care providers throughout the State of Vermont. His cases have included claims for:
- Brain injuries sustained by babies at or around the time of birth
- Failure to timely diagnose cancer
- Injuries during open and laparoscopic surgeries
- Failure to diagnose and treat infections and
- Adverse reactions to medications
- Emergency room negligence.
John’s personal injury practice involves representation of those injured or the families of those killed in:
- Automobile accidents
- Work and farm related accidents involving defective products and machinery, and
- Recreational activities such as skiing, snowmobiling and off-road vehicles
- Carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (1999)
- Vermont State Chair, American College of Trial Lawyers (2009-2010)
- President, Chittenden County Bar Association (1985-1986)
- Member, Board of Governors, Vermont Trial Lawyers Association (1989-1992)
- Member, Judicial Nominating Board, State of Vermont (1993-1997)
- Member, Birth Trauma Group, American Association for Justice
- Member, Medical Negligence Group, American Association for Justice.
John graduated from the University of Vermont in 1965 and the University of Maine School of Law in 1968. He was admitted to the Vermont Bar in 1968, the U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont in 1968 and the U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, in 1973. In 1975 he co-founded personal injury law firm Sylvester & Maley, Inc., in Burlington, before starting Maley and Maley PLLC in 2013.